Iowans for Adoption is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to promoting adoption through education, research and collaboration. Our organization serves as a networking and advocacy forum to promote adoption as a way to improve children’s and families’ overall well-being. We provide free materials to educate others about the option of adoption and increase the positive portrayal of adoption via public service announcements, speaking engagements, activities, and free networking support groups.
- A group of people who are very passionate about adoption, children, and families.
- Adopted individuals, birth parents, adoptive parents, adoption professionals, and friends of adoption.
- In need of your assistance. Please join us!
- Hosted The Gingerbread Run/Walk for Adoption since 2013 (in Ames, Des Moines and Ankeny).
- Paid the registration fees for more than 100 youth who have been in foster care to attend the Run/Walk and to receive free event shirts.
- Provided numerous free speaking engagements to educate others about adoption.
- Collaborated with Adoption Advocates of Iowa to enact an Iowa law that limits those who can work with adoption in Iowa to licensed agencies, certified adoption investigators, and attorneys. It also caps the amount of money adoptive parents can pay to birth parents, it requires transparency about ALL money that changes hands in the adoption process, and tightens up the penalties for pretending to be pregnant and taking money from adoptive couples.
Funds Raised Will
- Provide grants to hopeful adoptive families to help pay for adoption-related costs.
- Be used to create more educational materials that are distributed across Iowa.
Currently, in Iowa
- There are 900 children living in foster care who are waiting to be adopted.
- There is a shortage of foster parents and foster-to-adopt parents leaving our children without permanent homes.
- Many adoptive families do not have the same workplace benefit rights as do biologically-related families.
We Need Your Help To
- Raise awareness and provide accurate information about adoption and foster care.
- Increase the number of children who are adopted from foster care.
- Recruit more foster parents.
- Organize adoption-related events (Gingerbread Run/Walk for Adoption, fund-raisers, conferences, support groups for adopted youth, birth moms, and adoptive parents, etc.).
- Continue to collaborate with key stakeholders in Iowa to evaluate and enhance adoption and foster care processes.
- Advocate for our families.